Monday, April 1, 2013

Painting trim

Oh my Lord, I did not realize the gravity of this project. It's funny, its not something you really think twice about and yet, since we've moved into this house, it has definitely been one of those things that stick out to me.

Our house has 0 trim painted. The whole entire house has natural colored oak trim. Which was lovely to match the natural colored oak furniture that was in every room. At first, the nature lover in me decided it wasn't that bad. Now, 6 months later I could really care to see another oak colored surface. We moved out the majority of the oak furniture, but the trim and windows and vanities...

It started to become very obvious I wasn't into the trim when I began painting the house. The bright colors weren't popping like I would like next to the light brown oak. I thought for a while I just picked back colors. But, the reality is a pale blue contrasting with a light oak is much different then next to white.

So, I became determined to at least eliminate some of the natural trim in the house. That's when I learned painting trim SUCKS!!

Like this gem of a spot, how the hell do you paint the side of this? Literally a 1 inch (at most) gap from trim to corner of the wall. 


I also learned why they say to paint the trim 1st before the walls. Ace hardware painters tape took the drywall right off. This is everywhere, the window, the door. I was able to paint over it in blue, but upon close inspection you can see it.

After a lot of hell sanding I finally got all the trim and baseboard done. I still need the courage to do the doors. I figure I'll wait until summer, take them off and sand, prime, and paint in the garage.





Do you see the difference the white makes though? Now of course, I want to do my bedroom, and the downstairs bathroom.. oh and every other room in the house. But, since this amount of trim took 2 weeks of begging for time off of the kids to do and it only resulted in this much getting done, haha. The rest of the house will be done in, oh, 5 years :)

No comments:

Post a Comment