Wednesday, December 17, 2014

It's in the details

Our house is from the '80's - throughout this renovation we have discovered things that we don't really want, things that I would have never thought about. These little details are definitely one of the perks of building brand new, everything is new. One such thing we have run into is the outlets/covers. We have the lovely off white/almond/looks dirty outlets and covers. Some of the rooms hide it well, since there is an off white motif any way. But, other rooms, these ugly almond covers stick out and just look drab.

Here's a picture of my daughters room with the regular outlet.


The white trim added such a clean look and the outlet just looks off, it looks dirty and outdated. My solution, via pinterest:




It adds so much to the room. Instead of your eye catching on what you think is dirty and old, you look at a cute little detail of the room. The best part - its so easy. A little modge podge, an exacto knife, and drying time. I did the two light switches in my daughter's room with some left over craft paper I used on a friends wedding invitations. The light pink has sparkle white dots. Unfortunately, in doing these outlets I realized the other outlets stood out more. I didn't really want to do them all in this contrasting pink polka dots. So for the other outlets, I used left over fabric from her curtains.

Here is the final coat with modge podge.


This is the end product. It's so adorable and subtle! I sort of wish I just did the whole room in the paisley, but the polka dot is adorable too. I will say, I prefer using fabric vs. scrap booking paper. The edges glue down easier, it lays flatter and just looks more professional. About 5 minutes of prep, a couple hours of drying and here you have it!






I don't know that I want every outlet cover in the house to be fancy, but since the cost of replacing all the outlets and covers is staggering, its a great way to add some beauty in the rooms that really could use an extra little touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment