Friday, February 8, 2013

Sports themed kids room

One of the easier rooms to complete was my oldest sons Sports Themed bedroom. Luckily, we had already gotten started on this themed room years ago in our town house when our second was born. Since he started talking, ball, has been one of his favorite words. Although, like most boys, he loves cars, monster trucks, trains, and tractors. Playing football, soccer, and baseball is something he loves and I figure will outlast those others. Not to mention that his "blankie" is his baseball blankie and it is by far his favorite (over the guitar and elephant blankies).

Here's what we started with:


We got rid of one of the twin beds, which was tough knowing that our younger son will need one soon enough. But, we needed the money to pay off our kitchen (see Kitchen for those details). We went and bought twin bed sheets from Target to go with his sports themed light.

 My hope was to paint one wall like this:


But, after lots of thought, I didn't want to have to get all those colors of paint and I couldn't really figure out which wall could be the baseball. Instead, I went for the $12.00 decals that match the light and his bedsheets.





One of my favorite parts of his room is the closet. My son's favorite color is orange. Because we were doing the room in blue, which lacked flare, we decided that a bright orange closet would be just the touch to make it pop. Plus, it matches the color of the basketballs on all his stuff. When I bought the orange, I had originally settled on Sherwin William's Tango. When I got to the store to buy it I decided to go the next shade lighter - because I was told to pick your color and go one lighter - by many people. So I went with Kumquat and I love it! The paint spread great, although in hindsight, I wish I had got a gallon instead of a quart because I literally ran out on the last piece of the wall. I also learned a big lesson buying this paint. I went in and was uneducated. So when I said I wanted enough for a closet in that particular color, the girl said I'd need a quart and mixed it up. When I then ordered 3 more gallons of paint and explained that my Dad was a Contractor and had an account, the girl told me about the different types of paint - the really expensive kind and the cheap kind. By the time I was done I made better choices for my other gallons, but the Kumquat closet was the most expensive paint - which I would have never chosen for a closet. It was $16.89 a quart!














We had the navy curtains from our last two places. My mom made them and if you want a pretty easy DIY project, curtains can be easy if you find one you like and use it as a pattern for a new one. Make sure to line the backs with white linen to avoid fading, and add a more expensive feel.



The red part happened because my son broke the pull down shade that was in the window. We needed something to block out the sun and so I went with the long red to add some color to the room (once again matching it to the light that inspired the room) and to provide shade. The curtains were $17.99 each at Bed Bath and Beyond. I used a coupon for $5 off too.

On a side note: when I got home the curtains were not the same length. Both packages said 63 inches, but one was definitely 1/2 an inch longer. Take them out and measure them if you are buying in two separate packs. It's a pain in the butt because I don't ever get to the store and I had to return them to get some that were the same length and frankly, I just don't have time for that.

For the bedroom color, we once again used a can of leftover paint from my parents. California paints Buxton Blue. I LOVE this color. It's a medium blue and its so pretty. Oh and it was free. I had to do two coats for sure, but the color is so nice. My only complaint is that the California paints are not low VOC's and really smell. If the paint wasn't free, I would have preferred a greener product so my son wasn't breathing in paint fumes. With two kids at home, it took me a weekend to paint the room while my husband tried to occupy them. The second day, second coat only took 2.5 hours.



The Ted Williams picture was one we already had and I just put it in a cheap oak frame left over from my bridal shower - they had blown up a huge goofy picture of me.



The bookshelf was handmade by my grandfather. The picture frames on top I had bought a while ago with the light for $1 a piece at target.



The fan definitely helps to make the room - plus adds a light and some cooling for summer.  The little fan embellishments were $7, eh, probably not needed, but they were cute and help to turn the fan on. My son loves it, shows everyone his room! If that doesn't tell you job well done, I don't know what does.


Again, sorry, I'll get some better pics eventually :)

Cost breakdown:

Room decals: $12 at target
Red curtains: $18 a piece at bed bath and beyond
Fan/Light: $68 at home depot, pull strings $7
Electrician: $260 for 3 bedroom fan/lights and wiring them, 2 bathroom vanities. Hard to break it down room by room.

Lets round it to about $150 for the whole room! Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment