Thursday, November 20, 2014

Switching it up - bedroom style

After finding ourselves completely done with lack of sleep, we decided that a change in the boys bunk beds had to happen. Unfortunately, with their giant dresser there was no way to un-bunk the beds and keep the dresser.

It became very obvious the best solution would be to give the two boys the bigger bedroom and move the baby into the smaller boys room. 

I was having a lot of anxiety about the design changes that I felt needed to happen. My daughters room had the jungle theme with a green accent wall, it could easily be a neutral start to whatever we decided to do. The boys room with it's oak trim, blue walls, bright orange closet, and sports decals- I couldn't envision it transforming into a girly room. 

My husband told me my priorities were off. The kids were sleeping better and I was concerned about decorating! But, amidst my anxiety, there was a bit of excitement. I never really loved the boys sports themed room. It wasn't coming together like I had hoped. The baby's room was cute, but, because I really wasn't willing to start new and did a lot of recycling from the boys jungle theme I found the room was also missing something. With the switch I had the chance to rethink, replan, remodel. 

I feverishly googled blue girls rooms. Here's what I came up with, here are some of my inspirations.



For the boys room, I am just beginning to figure out my plan. But I got inspired by this picture. I love adding skateboards to the sports theme. My boys love skateboarding and it definitely makes it feel more big boy.


Also, I love this:


My original plan in there room was to add a baseball wall. I love the way the black and white really add dimension here.

First thing first, we moved the furniture and again that pang of anxiety came over me. Neither of the kids stuff really worked in their new rooms. I had plenty of other projects in the house to do before redoing the kids rooms. But, I allowed the excited new possibilities get me through.

The first thing I moved on was to try to get the boys room to look more feminine. The bright orange closet and the oak trim had to go.




I used the Chip It app from Sherwin Williams and I picked out Hibiscous as the accent color to the blue. But, I had a serious freakout at the store and ended up choosing quite a bit more boldly. As I started painting it, I was nervous, but now after I've put the room together I love it. I went with ____________ because I thought it would better match the paper balloons hung by the babies crib. The best change for sure was the trim. The white trim took the blue and instantly made it softer. The bright pink closet added a girly feel. I found an old white book shelf in my parents basement to add some more white.


I think had known I would have kept my white crib and used a white dresser. The espresso just wasn't cutting it. But, with some adorable curtains (here is phase 1 of them). I think the room is coming along. I also painted a little dresser with the pink and green and teal to match the curtains.




 I used the extra fabric from the curtains as a cloth for the top of the dresser. This is where the room will stay for now.

The boys room. Other then finding some matching night stands, I had done nothing. 


What you don't see is the green accent wall on the side of the bed on the left. The whole room just doesn't match. Its been bugging me. So, in a day of - we live in New England and it hasn't been over 40 degrees in a week and we are all sick - boredom. The boys and I painted the green wall white. I was ready to get started on making this room cute.

This morning, I woke up and did this:


I love it. I love that the tan follows the whole room and gives the feel of a baseball field. I am so happy how it came out. The floor in this room is green and it actually has a purpose now as a field. I still don't know that the navy and red motif match perfectly, but definitely its coming along. Our next step is coming at Christmas, we are making the kids these skateboards.


One for each of the kids to round out the sports themed room. After searching for cool, old skate decks, and trying to recreate the adorable room above, we decided this would be the best. I think the final product will be more colorful, this was just a quick mock up. I can't wait to see how it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment