Friday, May 30, 2014

Then there was light

I can't say enough how much I love my kitchen. We have transformed this place from tiny, outdated, non-functional, and awkward to a place that I spend most of my days and nights with my family. I often stand in the unfinished kitchen just glowing at what an improvement it makes to the entire house.

That all said, there was one thing that was lacking - sunlight. With the door and the window back facing, and more importantly covered by the screened in porch, the kitchen was a dark place. The living room would be brightly lit and I'd have to come in and turn on all the lights for the kitchen.

We had an idea that a new window in the dining room could definitely transform this space. Sadly, it wasn't in our budget. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized we could do this, in budget. I knew we could probably find a used window on craigslist. Even if the window wasn't the top of the line efficient, it would be a place holder and could be replaced later. My dad and my husband would do the work, so really there wasn't much to the cost other then the window.

I found a few online, but nothing was screaming at me. So we thought we would check out the Habitat for Humanity ReStore and we scored big!!! We found this:


Brand new, in the box for $125!! After much research I found the price for this window new was $465. That's about a 1/4 of the price!

Here is the space. When I measured it, I was thinking a 4' x 3' window and that is exactly what we found. 

I was lucky enough to have my Dad and husband put it in. I'm not sure what the cost to hire someone would be. But, as you can tell, for $125 the change was immediate and awesome.
 

All we need is a little trim and its complete. I will say that there was a bit of challenge in the window due to the electricity. Our house, as you may have read before, was wired weird. So, in the middle of the wall there should have been nothing, we had an electrical line running right down the center of the wall. So we did have to get an electrician in here to fix that. But, luckily that was pretty cheap, a little over $100.


At night we can watch the deer in the woods. It's like a giant piece of gorgeous landscape art. And a bonus, is when I went to seed my tomatoes, I finally had somewhere out of the way to get some light on them.


No comments:

Post a Comment